TeachersConnect Home Page: The homepage brings together posts from all over TeachersConnect. As you scroll down you will see rows of different types of posts. The top row shows the “trending” (most popular) posts, the following rows show the most recent posts from each community you are part of, and the last row shows unanswered questions. You can use the red arrows on the left and right side of each row to scroll sideways to view more of each type of post.
Top Navigation Bar: The yellow bar at the top of TeachersConnect contains the following buttons that will help you navigate around the site.
- Search Box: The search box allows you to search for topics or educators of interest to you. Just type in your search and indicate whether you are searching “contributions” or “members” before pressing “find”.
- Home: The home button brings you back to the home page.
- Contribute: The contribute button gets you started creating your own post or a question.
- Conversations: The conversations button takes you to your “conversations”, where you can start a new private conversation or continue an existing conversation with an individual educator or a group of educators.
- Notifications: The notifications button brings you to the list of your most recent TeachersConnect notifications. You can click on notifications to view the activity they relate to.
- Profile: The profile button brings you to your own profile where you can add information to tell other educators about yourself.
- Communities: The communities button brings you to the communities page where you can view the communities you have already joined and select new communities to join.
Interacting With Posts or Questions: You can click any post or question to view more and interact with it. Once you have clicked into a post or question you can press the “helpful” or “good question” buttons, or scroll down to the comment box to write and submit a comment or answer.
View A Community Page: There are many different communities of educators on TeachersConnect. You can view all of the posts in a community that you have joined by clicking on the name of the community in its homepage row or clicking the “view all” button on the right side of the row. You can also navigate to different communities by clicking the buttons at the top of the Communities page.
Create a Post: Create a post to share an idea, resource, lesson, or story on TeachersConnect. Once you have written your post you can choose the community you want it to appear in by changing the “audience” of your post. When you publish your post it will appear in the homepage row and community feed of the community you chose. The educators who are part of that community will be able to see your post and interact with it. You can also attach up to 4 files to a post.
Ask a Question: Ask a question to get answers from other educators on TeachersConnect. Questions are the same as posts in that you can set your audience, attach files, and other educators can interact with them. They are different in that each new question will appear in the “unanswered questions” row at the bottom of the homepage until it receives at least one answer.
Profile: View your profile information: name, photo, number of people following, number of followers, and total number of contributions to the community. Privately view the impact you are making in the community, such as the number of members who have marked your contributions as helpful. You can view other teachers’ profiles by clicking on their name when reading their posts, comments, or answers.
Edit Profile: Update your personal information, teaching experience, education, and about me. Add any teacher communities that you belong to as well.
Your Connections Feed: View posts and questions exclusively from the people you follow. This is located under “My Communities” in the Menu.
“Helpful” Button (Thumbs Up): Click to let a teacher know you think their post, comment, or answer was helpful.
“Good Question” Button (Clapping Hands): Click to let a teacher know you feel the same way or have the same questions as them. After clicking “Good Question”, TeachersConnect will send you a notification when someone answers that question.
Answer Button: Click to type an answer to a teacher’s question.
Attachments Button: (Paper Clip) Click this while creating a post, question, or comment to add files or images.
TeachersConnect ‘Share a Hero Story’ Promotional Sweepstakes Official Rules.
- PRIZE DETAILS Two (2) prizes of $100 in school supplies for your classroom, school, or another school of your choice.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Eligible only to legal U.S. residents who are eighteen (18) years of age or older as of date of entry. Employees and contractors of TeachersConnect, its affiliates, immediate family members, or persons living in the same household as such individuals are not eligible to participate. Sweepstakes is governed by U.S. laws and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws. Sweepstakes ends 11th of May, 2019, Midnight EST. Winners will be announced by 15th of May, 2019.
- HOW TO ENTER: An individual will be deemed a participant in the sweepstakes if he/she is eligible and gains an entry. An individual can earn entries by posting to the main TeachersConnect community feed sharing a real-world experience of how a fellow educator helped/supported them like a true “hero”. Each unique story published on the TeachersConnect platform earns the author one entry into the sweepstakes. Each author is eligible for no more than three entries.
- Two (2) prizes will be selected via random drawing from among all valid entries received during the promotional period. A random drawing will be conducted around 15th of May ,2019 by TeachersConnect management, whose decisions will be final and binding with respect to all aspects of the sweepstakes. Odds of winning depends on the number of an individual’s entries versus all eligible entries received in accordance to these rules. Winners will be notified via email within ten (10) business days of the random drawing.
- By entering the sweepstakes, you consent for TeachersConnect to obtain, use, and transfer your name, email address, and other information for the purpose of administering this sweepstakes and such personal information will be kept by TeachersConnect for marketing purposes. The information that you provide in connection to this sweepstakes will be used by TeachersConnect only, and will not be sold or provided to another company. You will remain eligible for this sweepstakes whether or not you unsubscribe from promotional emails from TeachersConnect.
- All Participants, as a condition of participation or entering in this Sweepstakes, agree to defend, indemnify, release and hold harmless TeachersConnect, its affiliates, and the officers, directors, and employees, and Released Parties from and against any and all liability, claims, damages, injuries or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, or losses to persons or property which may be sustained in connection with: (a) accessing the TeachersConnect Web Site; (b) participating in any aspect of the Sweepstakes, including, without limitation, while preparing for, participating in and/or traveling to or from any prize or Sweepstakes-related activity, including, without limitation, any injury, damage, death, loss or accident to person or property; (c) the receipt, ownership, possession, use or misuse of any prize awarded; (d) viruses or any downloading or other problems with the Sweepstakes application; or (e) any typographical, printing, or other error in these Official Rules, advertisements, or the announcement of offering of any prize. Prize winner bears all liability and risk of loss to his/her respective prize after it has been delivered. In the event that any provision of the Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, the other provisions will remain in effect and will be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. TeachersConnect’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Winner’s list request: To receive the name of the prize winners, send a request email to email@example.com.
- Official Rules Request: To receive a copy of the Official Rules, send a request email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All mentions of “Sponsor” or “TeachersConnect” refers to Great Teachers, Inc., dbd as TeachersConnect, currently located at 281 Summer St., Floor 2, Boston, MA 02210.
The TeachersConnect Team is aware that some teachers have been unable to upload certain photos to their posts or their profiles. Our team is in the process of investigating the issue and finding a long term solution.
What You Can Do
If you have been unable to upload a photo as either a profile photo or as part of a post you have two options.
- Rename your image file so the name includes no capital letters, no underscores (_), and no letters after the .jpg or .png if the file is one of those two formats. Once the image name follows those rules try uploading it again.
- Send the TeachersConnect team your image. If you are unsure how to change your image type yourself you can send it to our support team and we will be happy to help you. Email your image to us at email@example.com and we will be happy to send you back an image that you will be able to upload.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this issue. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Well designed posts receive far more views, comments, and activity on TeachersConnect. To ensure your posts don’t get passed over, follow these simple guidelines and check out the example below!
- Does an ugly robot appear next to all of your posts? Get rid of that thing by uploading a profile photo. Go to your profile, click edit profile, and edit your personal information to change your photo. Teachers will be much more likely to pay attention to your smiling face than an ugly robot!
- Title your post. Use the ‘Title Button’ or put your title in Bold to tell teachers what your post is about right off the bat.
- Break up large chunks of text with line breaks, quotes, lists, or bullets.
- Upload a photo! What’s the saying: “A photo is worth a thousand words”? Spice up your post with an image that relates to it.
- Include a document. Teachers love resources! If you have a resource to go with your post include it.
- Click the “Audience” button under the text box
- Click the community select drop down menu
- Choose your desired community
When creating a post or asking a question on TeachersConnect, you may attach up to four files to your text. File types include:
The newest features of TeachersConnect are listed below. Do you have questions about how to use TeachersConnect? Or do you want to suggest a new feature? Choose a contact form to send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible!
- Popular Topics
The homepage now lists topics that might be of interest so educators can find great conversations on the things that matter.
- Click a topic to see posts on the topic.
- Click “all topics” to browse the full list of popular topics on TeachersConnect.
- Following Posts
Educators can “Follow” a post or question they are interested in by pressing the “Follow” button on a post or question.
- “Following” means the educator will get email and in-app notifications about new comments or answers to the post or question they are following.
- Educators can also “Unfollow” a post by pressing the “Unfollow” button on a post they are following.
- New Homepage
When an educator first signs in they are now on a homepage with rows of posts for each of the communities they belong to.
- Side Scrolling
Each community row on the homepage displays posts that can be scrolled through from side to side using the arrows.
- Private Messages
Educators can now create private message threads with individuals or groups within TeachersConnect.
- Search Relevancy
Search results are now automatically sorted by relevancy.
- YouTube Embedding
You can now embed YouTube videos directly into your post by publishing a link to YouTube in your post content.
- Watch this video to learn how to post YouTube videos on TeachersConnect!
- Your YouTube link must include the http://www. before the rest of the link. Here is an example of the correct link format: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[ID NUM HERE]
- Note: You cannot publish images in the same post as a YouTube video.
- Delete Comments
If you leave a comment on a post you now have the option to delete it later from the options menu next to the comment.
- Edit Published Comments
If you leave a comment on a post you now have the option to edit it later from the options menu next to the comment.
- Editing Posts/Questions
Authors can now edit their posts/questions using the Options menu on the single item view.
- Bug Fixes/Minor Changes
Fixed display issues related to the previous release.
- Clickable Buttons in the Feed (NEW)
The ‘Helpful’ button and the ‘Same Here’ button are now clickable from the Feed as well as from the ‘full post view’.
- See Views (NEW)
Post authors can now see how many times their posts have been viewed from the ‘full post view’ of each post.
- Bug Fixes/Minor Changes
• Additional design changes to Main Menu notifications to simplify visibility.
- Member Search (NEW)
Members can now find each other using our keyword full name search.
- Your Connections Feed (NEW)
Members can now see a dedicated feed of posts and questions from the people they follow.
- Post Formatting (NEW)
Members can now add formatting to their posts, questions, comments and answers – including titles, lists, and block quotes.
- Bug Fixes/Minor Changes
• Comment button added to single item view to simplify commenting on long posts.
• Success alerts are now displayed when following/unfollowing other members.
• Community headers have been updated to provided better visual hierarchy and navigation.
- File Attachments (UPDATED)
Members can now attach PDF, DOC, PPT, XLS, Pages, Keynote and Numbers files to posts and questions.
- Add Teacher Communities (UPDATED)
Community logos, descriptions, and basic statistics have been added to the Add Teacher Communities view.
- Bug Fixes/Minor Changes
• Main menu has been visually redesigned.
• Members now get visual feedback after profile changes.
• Descriptions have been added to Profile edit/add views.
• Fixed bug with Notifications list links not working.
• Fixed a range of layout and functional bugs for Internet Explorer.
- Feed Pagination (NEW)
Infinite scrolling on feed pages has been removed to introduce context markers for members (i.e. the date range for posts on a page). “Previous” and “Next” buttons have been added to let members easily navigate feed pages. This change affects community feeds, member lists, sitewide searches, followers/following lists and profile post listings.
- Local Timezones (UPDATED)
Now all posts/questions/comments/answers in feeds and single item views adjust to a member’s local timezone settings on their device – which mirrors the current behavior of notifications.
- Bug Fixes/Minor Changes
• Members are redirected to the specific community feed after deleting a post in it.
• URL links published in Community Headers and Profile Bios will now be hyperlinked automatically for members.
- Followers/Following (NEW)
All members can now follow each other, as well as see lists of people they follow, and people who are following them.
- Impact Statistics (NEW)
Members can now privately view the impact they are making on their profile when it is available – “Your contributions have been marked helpful X times by other members.”
- Activity Statistics (UPDATED)
Members can view general activity statistics about each other – date joined, last active, number of people following, number of followers, and total number of contributions to community.
- Member Posts (UPDATED)
Member Post Lists have returned – clicking on the total number of contributions on a profile displays a list of posts from that member that you are authorized to see.
- Bug Fixes/Minor Changes
• First member no longer missing from Member Directories
• Guidance text on site wide search form
• Uploaded images should display with the correct orientation
• Back to Profile button on Edit Profile view
• Create Post and Ask Question buttons now appear at the top of all community feeds
- Community Member Lists (New)
Members of partner communities can now see a list of other members who are also members.
- Partner Communities (Update)
Members of all communities can now see logo and description information (if supplied) at the top of their community feed pages.
- User Profiles (Update)
Members can now view biographical information, location, communities, teaching experience and education on all profiles – as well as edit their own information (including names, email addresses, and passwords).
- In-App Notifications (New)
Members now receive in-app notifications when new comments/answers are made on their posts/questions. Members who Me-Too questions will also receive notifications for any new answers published. The new notification count clears once a user visits their notifications page.
- Site-Wide Search (Update)
Member searches now include keyword results from comments and answers as well as the original post/question text.
- Menu Navigation (Update)
We’ve added a new way to add teacher communities from the main menu, as well as redesigned the menu layout to make it more intuitive for members.
- Post Audience Settings
Set the audience for new posts so only members of specific communities can see them. Find the audience button in the bottom left corner of the create post or question box.
Access the “Create New Post” and “Ask a Question” buttons, your profile, your feeds, and the “Logout” button. The “Menu” button is always in the top right corner.
- Profile Changes
View and edit your personal information, education, and teacher communities in your profile.
- New Feeds
Join a teacher community to view a feed with only the posts from people in that community.
Search by keywords and see every post that includes your search terms. The Search button is always in the top left corner.
You can now mark comments and answers as helpful.
- Improved Feed
The feed will now remember where you were when you go back to it after viewing a post. It also loads faster!
In the TeachersConnect community, teachers and education professionals from everywhere are encouraged to share thoughts, resources, questions, and answers. However, if you are a part of a specific community that has partnered with TeachersConnect and are looking to join your colleagues, here is how you can do it.
Steps for Joining a Teacher Community:
- Navigate to your Profile Page
Click the “Menu” button at the top right corner to access your profile and tools. Click the “Profile” button.
- Edit Profile
Once you are looking at your profile, you will see a button to the right of your name that says “Edit Profile.” Click it.
- Add a Teacher Community
Under the Teacher Communities section of your profile, click the “Add Community” button. Find your teacher community on the list. Read the description to make sure it is the right one. Click the “Add” button. You have now joined that Teacher Community. (If you have mistakenly saved the wrong teacher community and want to remove it, click the “Option” button next to the community’s name on your edit profile page, and click “Delete.”)
Note: If you do not see your teacher community on the list, they may not have partnered with TeachersConnect. Contact a representative of the community/organization and ask about partnering with TeachersConnect.
- View Your Teacher Community
Click the “Menu” button at the top right corner again to access your tools. You will now see a tile for your teacher community under “Communities”. Click it to view posts and questions from members of that community. Your posts and questions will appear there as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I cancel my TeachersConnect account?
- Setting the Audience of Your Posts
- What file types can I upload on TeachersConnect?
- What happens if a post is disrespectful or unprofessional?
- Who is responsible for “bad” information or advice on TC?
- Can I post copyrighted materials?
- Is it okay to post files, photos, or videos that include students or their names?
- Can I post anonymously?
- Why can’t I see my teacher preparation program on TeachersConnect?
- What happens when I ask a question?
- Where do my posts appear to other users?
- Can people without TeachersConnect accounts see the content on TeachersConnect?
- Could my principal or boss or instructor be on TeachersConnect?
- I’m in education, but I’m not a classroom teacher. How does TeachersConnect help me?
- I’m a teacher. How does TeachersConnect help me?